Monday 7 November 2011

Beautiful maps

I came across this lovely map at the Vintage stall on Southbank for £5. There is a lot of crap on those tables but in amongst it are some jewels. This map of the New Forest and Isle of Wight is from around the 1880s. I was attracted to it because of the interesting content, (I love to read maps), but mostly the textiles and design. Being 'disected and mounted on cloth', its lovely to handle, not awkward and crumply like modern paper maps. No noisy paper scrunching, no battle to refold it correctly, in which normally I loose. It is pleasant to feel, the strays of cotton and all, and lovely to look at. I like the typography because it is very clear, concise and charming. There is a strange mixture of colours and papers but it's biggest negative is the fact it misses by house by just a couple of miles. Bit annoying.





No comments:

Post a Comment