Monday 19 March 2012

The Saatchi Gallery-Gesamtkunstwerk

I went to the Saatchi Gallery's latest exhibition the other day of artwork from New Germany. I always enjoy the Saatchi Gallery because although the art can be very ambiguous and strange, I find it very relatable in some way, whether it is in the way the artist intended I don't know but all the same, I come away feeling fulfilled. Here are two works that I enjoyed the most.

Jeppe Hein made a mirror that shakes when the viewer approaches it, prompting us to re-access our relationship to it. It shows you the world you are experiencing but not what you are actually doing, you aren't wobbling and shaking. All sense of reality is obscured. 



Brothers Gert and Uwe Tobias have created these woodcuts on paper based on many elements from their Transylvanian national costume. This I only found read after I had been totally captured by the beautiful balance of weight and construction of these figures. They were mechanical yet full of character, mischief and charm.




No comments:

Post a Comment