Monday 5 September 2011

7 day drunk

I have just returned from a glorious month spent working at Edinburgh Fringe festival. I watched over 40 shows and one I came across was one called 7 day drunk. I loved it and hated it. Artist Bryony Kimmings stayed drunk for seven days as an experiment to judge the quality of her work during this time. The one women show is performed sober but she performs some of the creations resultant of her experiment as well as video footage. When i heard about it I thought- what a fantastic concept, she must be mad! She was mad, in a inspiring, loving, 'doesn't care' kind of way, but I was disappointed. I couldn't gage any progress or story during the experiment, no analysis or conclusions of her condition from the many experts that were present. Also with such a subjective thing as art, how can anyone conclude if her work got better during the week as she became depressed with drink?
However I am rather in awe of her imagination, the show was full of very weird and wonderful things and I love these photographs of her I found on her website.

http://www.bryonykimmings.com/photos.html

No comments:

Post a Comment