Wednesday 14 September 2011

Ingleby Gallery

I managed to catch up with two of my favourite fine artists at the Ingleby Gallery in Edinburgh at the beginning of September. 
Susan Collis likes to challenge our perception of dirt, makes you think about the shapes and context we associate with it. I became interested in her work when I did a project on taboo. When I walked past her jewel encrusted broom in the Dirt exhibition in the Welcome Collection earlier this year, I huess I subconsciously thought it had been left there by mistake. Even on second approach I thought the speckles were dirt, not pearls. At the Ingleby Gallery she did a similar piece of pearl speckles on the floor like a paint splatter. 
And she did this. Our immediate reaction is that this is a delicate ornament on this pile of paper but on closer inspection we realise the gold is no more expensive or precious, it is also just paper. She cleverly  highlights our preconceptions of this context.
Katie Patterson is also an artist I greatly admire because does a lot of clever information display, mostly about the universe. She made a confetti canon in which every piece of confetti colour matched the brightest explosions in the universe. She created a record that rotates in synchronisation with the earth playing vivaldi's Four Seasons.
Her piece in the Ingleby gallery is this, a set of 289 lightbulbs with halogen filament, 28W,4500K. Each set contained a sufficient amount of moonlight to last a person a lifetime...

No comments:

Post a Comment